Saturday 30 June 2007

kohaM -WHO AM I ?

NAAHAM, KOHAM ,SOHAM. I am not this. Who am I ? I am HE !
_______________________________________________


NETI NETI IS Jnaana Path. Who am I ? is a DIRECT PATH. Also called Vichaara Maarga or Path of Enquiry. Propounded by RAMANA MAHARSHI.

" WHO AM I ? " is not a question although it bears that form. It is no question as it had no answer. No answer by affermation "I AM THIS ." or by negation " I AM NOT THIS." is to be attempted or expected. IT IS AN ATTITUDE OF DOUBT AS TO OUR IDENTITY. ONCE YOU GET INTO THIS QUESTIONING ATTITUDE, THE PROCESS IS MERELY TO KEEP ATTTENTION ON THE I-thought.

"I " IS NOT AN OBJECT to be known, nor the first person pronoun. Here it represents the ghost of the non-existant EGO. You identify yourself with the body and all your thoughts are based on this false identity. THIS MUST BE GIVEN UP.

THE QUESTION IS LIKE A POLE USED TO STIR THE FUNERAL PYRE TO KEEP FIRE BURNING AND ALSO TO COLLECT BONES FOR SUBSEQUENT IMMERSION IN HOLY WATERS. The pole gets burnt . SIMILARLY, THE QUESTION ITSELF CEASES TO EXIST . THE VIBRANT " I-I ' RISES FROM YOUR HEART.

We GENERTALLY start with upnishad aphorims like- THAT THOU ART, I AM BRAHMAN AND THE LIKE. THAT, BRAHMAN GIVES THE NOTION OF SOMETHING NOT HERE , NOT KNOWN. HERE ,WE START WITH SOMETHING AVAILABLE HERE AND NOW AND BEGIN FINDING ITS TRUTH .

No ritual, no place, no time is prescribed for this path. No guru need be sought. Ask the question to yourself and keep the mind alert . If a thought arises in the mind, raise the question- To whom has this thought arisen? The obvious answer would be - TO ME Question again- Then who am I ? Mind gives up its original thought and returns to its source. If a picture appears on the mental screen. ask -Who sees this picture ? To me . Then who am I ? If you feel afraid of void /blank or feel the heat of the sun, jut ask -WHO IS FEELING AFRAID OR HOT ? I -- THEN WHO AM I ?

A TRUANT COW WILL RUN AWAY SEEKING GREEN GRASS. CATCH IT BY THE HORNS AND FORCE IT BACK TO THE SHED. But it will wait for an opportunity to run away again and again. In Vichaara maarga, the cow ( mind ) is lured back to the shed and fed with green grass. By and by , it will not leave the shed evn if left free.

No comments: