Thursday 7 June 2007

Vada Me Vatse - 1

वद मे वत्से
(Speak to me, dear child)

Bhaaskaraachaarya was a great astrologer. But his daughter, Leelaavati by name, became a widow within days of her wedding. During wedding, a pearl from her necklace had come loose and restricted the flow of water in the water-watch and the auspicious time set for the wedding muhurta was missed.

He taught her mathematics and gave us the classic book on the subject - LeelaavatigaNita - completely written in Samskruta shlokas. In the shloka on simultaneous equations, he gives a problem, gives a clue and then says - vada me vatse - speak to me (tell me the answer), my dear child.

Incidentally, the book has Pythagoras' theorem. India knew of this before Pythagoras' forefathers were born!

Now, tell me, my dear child:
- Who teaches the newborn baby to suckle when the mother holds it to her breast?
- Who teaches newborn animals to reach the mother's teats on their own, with no help?
- Who guides the kittens and puppies, blind at birth, to reach the teats?
- Who guides the newborn kangaroo joey to reach and climb into mother's pouch where her teats are waiting for the baby?

And, tell me, my dear child:
- Who guides the salmon back to its birthplace, to lay eggs and die?
- Who helps the migratory birds navigate thousands of miles over signpostless, uncharted oceans?

Again, tell me, my dear child:
- Who makes the dormant roots sprout at the onset of monsoon, plants grow and the spotlessly-white dancing lilies bloom?

Kenopanishad starts with the question and deals with some anwers in brief. The Lord in the Geetaa explains further.

All this is grey matter to science. To cover up its ignorance, science has pronounced three vital activites as involuntary. Involuntary for whom? Who breathes for me? Sciences has made modern man an invertebrate eunuch.


NOTE: WE TALK OF ATOMIC TABLE. WE JUST TABULATED THE ELEMENTS BUT NOT CREATED A SINGLE ELEMENT. CREATION IS MORE SCIENTIFIC THAN MERE TABULATION.

No comments: